[Rd] CRAN: Update protocol buffers on macOS? (for RProtoBuf)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley @ending from @t@t@@ox@@c@uk
Sat Jul 7 11:38:53 CEST 2018

On 06/07/2018 04:32, Jonathon Love wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I notice that the CRAN binary for the macOS version of RProtoBuf is
> built against quite an old version of protocol buffers (from 2014,
> before v3 format support was added).
>
> the windows version is (blessedly) kept up-to-date, but I'd like to
> float the suggestion that the macOS version get an update too.

If you mean the CRAN macOS binary package for RProtoBuf, why did you
post here?  R-sig-Mac would have been more appropriate, but the CRAN
policies tell you how to report issues/wishes for binary packages.  Only
one person can help you with that, and it is most effective to contact
him directly.

RProtoBuf does not compile on macOS against the current/latest version
3.6.0 of protobuf (sic), and I have reported to the maintainer.  It did
compile against 3.5.1, and you could compile from sources yourself.

--
Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley using stats.ox.ac.uk