[Rd] Testing for vectors

Ott Toomet otoomet @ending from gm@il@com
Sat Jul 7 22:48:55 CEST 2018

Thanks, Hadley for bringing this up:-)

I am teaching R and I can suggest 5 different definitions of 'vector':

a) vector as a collection of homogeneous objects, indexed by [ ] (more
precisely atomic vector).  Sometimes you hear that in R, "everything is a
vector", but this is only true for atomic objects.
b) vector as a collection of objects, indexed by either [ ] and [[ ]].
This includes atomic vectors and lists.
c) vector versus scalar.  It pops up when teaching math and stats, and is
somewhat confusing, in particular if my previous claim was that "R does not
have scalars".
d) vector versus matrix (or other arrays).  Again, it only matters when
doing matrix operations where 'vectors', i.e. objects with NULL dimension,
behave their own way.
e) finally, 'is.vector' has it's own understanding what constitutes a
vector.

Maybe there are more...  I don't think there are any easy answers but both
me and my students would appreciate more consistent terminology.

Cheers,
Ott