[Rd] R History: Why is there no importFrom() function?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch@dunc@n @ending from gm@il@com
Sun Jul 22 15:10:05 CEST 2018

On 21/07/2018 10:54 PM, Aaron Jacobs wrote:
> Excuse me if this is inappropriate content for this list, but I thought it
> might be the best place -- and the best audience -- to ask about a design
> decision for the R language.
>
> Programs or analyses written in R typically use library() to pull in
> functions from non-core packages. This differs markedly from most
> languages*, which usually offer some way to selectively import symbols. For
> example, in Python you'd see "from random import randint", and so on.

I think there are two reasons.  First, the :: operator is so convenient.
  If you really wanted "from random import randint" you could write

randint <- random::randint

but most people don't bother with the assignment, preferring to just
work with random::randint in their code.

The second reason is that R encourages complex programs to be written as
packages, which do have the importFrom() directive.  If you've got great
big scripts where you would want to import certain functions and don't
want the overhead of the package:: prefix, you're doing it wrong.

Duncan Murdoch