[Rd] Possible bug: R --slave --interactive stdin echo on Linux when stdin is a fifo

luke-tier@ey m@ili@g off uiow@@edu luke-tier@ey m@ili@g off uiow@@edu
Thu Jul 26 15:47:20 CEST 2018

On Thu, 26 Jul 2018, Gábor Csárdi wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 1:43 PM <luke-tierney using uiowa.edu> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 26 Jul 2018, Gábor Csárdi wrote:

>>> Yeah, for a file I get echo on both macOS and Linux, but not on Windows.
>>>
>>> I think the most useful behavior for --slave is no echo at all, maybe?
>>> But I might be missing the motivation behind --slave.
>>>
>>> Another thing is that windows does not have --interactive. Is there a
>>> way to run R
>>> 1) without echoing stdin, and
>>
>> I'm not seeing an echo for your example on Ubuntu or Fedora.
>
> Interesting. Do you mean the fifo example, or just a file? Or both?
> I wonder what this depends on then....

The fifo one -- I didn't try a file.

> Particularly interesting that this does echo on macOS:
> echo '1+1' | R --slave --interactive
> But the FIFO example does not.
>
> Anyway, it seems that if I remove --interactive then I get no echo.

Looks like this has to do with readline, which --interactive turns on.
If I use '--no-readline --interactive' (in that order) on Mac OS and
Linux I get no echo.

The code in R for all this should be identical on Linux and Mac OS --
both use the unix code. readline libraries may differ, shell/stty
settings may differ for your setup.

Best,

luke

--