[Rd] Byte-compilation failure on different architectures / low-memory systems

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@liber@ @ending from gm@il@com
Mon Jun 4 20:06:35 CEST 2018

Hi Dirk,

thanks for the report. Access to the test system is not necessary, the
memory requirements of the byte-code compiler are usually
platform-independent and specifically with this package I can reproduce
they are very high. We'll have a look what we can do, certainly there
should at least be a way to recover and use the uncompiled version when
memory allocation fails, this is already done by the JIT but not when
compiling during installation. Before R or the package is patched, the
only workaround for memory constrained systems is probably to disable
byte-compilation of this package, as I read you are doing already.

Best
Tomas