[Rd] Date class shows Inf as NA; this confuses the use of is.na()

Gabe Becker becker@g@be @ending from gene@com
Wed Jun 13 18:20:16 CEST 2018

Greg,

I see what you mean, but on the other hand, that's not how we think about
real numbers working either, and doubles have that behavior generally. It
might be possible to put checks in (with a potentially non-trivial overhead
cost) to disallow that kind of thing, but again R (and everyone else, I
think?) doesn't do so for regular doubles.

Also, I would expect the year 1e50 and the "year" Inf to be functionally
equivalent in meaning (and largely meaningless) in context.

Best,
~G