[Rd] Discrepancy: R sum() VS C or Fortran sum

luke-tierney at uiowa.edu luke-tierney at uiowa.edu
Fri Mar 16 16:37:03 CET 2018

Install the gmp package, run your code, and then try this:

bu <- gmp::as.bigq(u)
bs4 <- bu[1] + bu[2] + bu[3] + bu[4] + bu[5]
s4 <- as.double(bs4)
s1 - s4
##  [1] 0
s2[[2]] - s4
##  [1] 7.105427e-15
s3 - s4
##  [1] 7.105427e-15
identical(s1, s4)
##  [1] TRUE

`bs4` is the exact sum of the binary rationals in your `u` vector;
`s4` is the closest double precision to this exact sum.

Looking at the C source code for sum() will show you that it makes
some extra efforts to get a more accurate sum than your simple
version.

Best,

luke

--