[Rd] Suggesting patch to link DOIs against secure resolver

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Mar 26 13:22:45 CEST 2018

    > Dear Madams and Sirs,
    > because the DOI foundation recommends a new, secure resolver [1], I
    > wanted to suggest the attached patch. It

    > a) updates a static DOI link in the docu,
    > b) the code chunks that generate new ones, and
    > c) a reg-ex that detects DOI links.

    > Hopefully, my first venture into SVN & patch files was done correctly.
    > My apologies, if there is anything amiss. In that case, I'll be happy to
    > update the patch according to your advice.

Thank you very much, Katrin!
The patch looks perfect to me: It is minimal and well motivated
including references.

I have committed it to R-devel -- which for a dozen of hours now
is aiming for a version of R which will not be released soonish.

If nothing adverse appears from the change, we'd also plan to
back port this patch to what is now called  "R 3.5.0 alpha",
the alpha pre-release version of R 3.5.0 which is due in four weeks.

    > Thank you, and kind regards,
    > Katrin Leinweber

    > [1]: https://www.doi.org/doi_handbook/3_Resolution.html#3.8
    > [2]: https://github.com/parklab/nozzle/pull/27

    > PS: I left jss.cls untouched, because I emailed an equivalent patch to
    > the JSS team already, and presume that their update will trickle down in
    > due time.

    > PPS: Through RSiteSearch("DOI resolver") I also found instances of
    > dx.doi.org in Nozzle.R1, to which I had submitted a PR already [2].

Both decisions make much sense to me.