[Rd] Objects not gc'ed due to caching (?) in R's S3 dispatch mechanism

luke-tierney at uiowa.edu luke-tierney at uiowa.edu
Tue Mar 27 06:02:55 CEST 2018

This has nothing to do with printing or dispatch per se. It is the
result of an internal register (R_ReturnedValue) being protected. It
gets rewritten whenever there is a jump, e.g. by an explicit return
call. So a simplified example is

new_foo <- function() {
   e <- new.env()
     reg.finalizer(e, function(e) message("Finalizer called"))
       }

bar <- function(x) return(x)

bar(new_foo())
gc() # still in .Last.value
gc() # nothing

UseMethod essentially does a return call so you see the effect there.

The R_ReturnedValue register could probably be safely cleared in more
places but it isn't clear exactly where. As things stand it will be
cleared on the next use of a non-local transfer of control, and those
happen frequently enough that I'm not convinced this is worth
addressing, at least not at this point in the release cycle.

Best,

luke