[Rd] download.file does not process gz files correctly (truncates them?)

Joris Meys jori@mey@ @ending from gm@il@com
Sat May 12 11:49:00 CEST 2018

I can confirm that Excel does all kind of strange things when opening a csv
file and saving it from Excel, including adding unnecessarily another set
of quotes around already qouted text fields. But I never had problems with
Excel not getting linux-type line endings correctly. I'll see if I can make
Excel mess it up, but given the amount of excel crap I had to endure over
the years, I'd be surprised if I missed such behaviour until now.

Cheers
Joris

On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 3:09 PM, peter dalgaard <pdalgd at gmail.com> wrote:

> There was a hint in the Twitterverse that Excel has issues with line
> endings in .csv. Can anyone elaborate on that? Then again, Excel goes
> belly-up on comma separators in central European locales anyway...
>
> -pd
>
> > On 8 May 2018, at 22:47 , Hadley Wickham <h.wickham at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > Also note that MS just announced support for unix line endings in notepad
> >
> > https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2018/05/08/
> extended-eol-in-notepad/
> >
> > Hadley
> >

> --
> Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
> Phone: (+45)38153501
> Office: A 4.23
> Email: pd.mes at cbs.dk  Priv: PDalgd at gmail.com

Joris Meys
Statistical consultant

Department of Data Analysis and Mathematical Modelling
Ghent University
Coupure Links 653, B-9000 Gent (Belgium)
<https://maps.google.com/?q=Coupure+links+653,%C2%A0B-9000+Gent,%C2%A0Belgium&entry=gmail&source=g>

Biowiskundedagen 2017-2018
http://www.biowiskundedagen.ugent.be/