[Rd] CRAN checks give errors when no tests are included

Joris Meys jori@mey@ @ending from gm@il@com
Wed May 30 17:33:51 CEST 2018

Dear all,

as a follow-up to the question asked on R-package-devel (see link below):

Someone sent a package to CRAN with a few problems. There's more things
wrong with the submission, but one thing that really caught my eye was the
following error:

Warning message:
running command '"C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-33~1.2/bin/x64/R" CMD BATCH --vanilla
"testthat.R" "testthat.Rout"' had status 1  ERROR Running the tests in
'tests/testthat.R' failed.
Last 13 lines of output:

  Type 'q()' to quit R.

  > library(testthat)
  Warning message:
  package 'testthat' was built under R version 3.3.3
  > library(bwt)
  >
  > test_check("bwt")
  Error: No tests found for bwt
  Execution halted
* DONE

I checked the package and it had no tests subfolder. Yet -as far as I can
judge- CRAN tried to run tests anyway and error'd when there were none to
be found. This would make sense of adding tests was obligatory, but I can't
find that back in the CRAN policies. Is this a hiccup at CRAN's side or am
I missing something obvious?

Cheers
Joris

link to the original mail on r-package-devel :
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-package-devel/2018q2/002782.html

--
Joris Meys
Statistical consultant

Department of Data Analysis and Mathematical Modelling
Ghent University
Coupure Links 653, B-9000 Gent (Belgium)
<https://maps.google.com/?q=Coupure+links+653,%C2%A0B-9000+Gent,%C2%A0Belgium&entry=gmail&source=g>

Biowiskundedagen 2017-2018
http://www.biowiskundedagen.ugent.be/