[Rd] Warning when calling formals() for `[`.

Emil Bode emil@bode @ending from d@n@@kn@w@nl
Mon Oct 8 15:38:18 CEST 2018

Hello,

I agree the documentation of args can be improved, but the main question is what the return should be.
I guess the reason args() returns NULL is because of the way argument-matching works for primitives: there is a lot going on under the hood, and what arguments are/are not acceptable for `[` can't be stated as straightforward as we can with other functions.
Note also the difference in printing "sum" and "[": sum first prints "function(..., na.rm=FALSE)", whereas `[` jumps straight to the body. And this is not an artefact of printing it, as makes overwriting it makes clear:
`[` <- function(x, i, j, ..., drop=FALSE) .Primitive("[")
exhibited very strange behaviour, where you need to call it twice/nested: 1[2] returns a primitive function, to get it to do its job you need 1[2](df, 3, 4) instead of df[3,4].
So general advice would probably be to stay away from messing with arguments with primitives, as ?args already hints at: " mainly used interactively (...). For programming, consider using formals instead."
Basically, primitives are optimized and down to the core, which probably means the concept of an argument-list may not be as clear as it is with "normal" functions.
So working with args() on primitives comes with some risks, which probably is the reason that formals() always return NULL in that case.
What is your use case?
If you really need a return value, I think you could catch NULL-values, something like this:
args <- function(name) {
  if(is.character(name)) name <- get(name, parent.frame(), mode='function')
  if(!is.function(name)) return(NULL)
  ret <- base::args(name)
  if(is.null(ret) && is.primitive(name)) {
    ret <- function(...) NULL
    environment(ret) <- parent.frame()
  }
  return(ret)
}

Which would just return "function(...) NULL" for args("["), which is of the expected class, but does not give you any real information. Would that help you?
Otherwise, to get to know the arguments there is of course "?"
And note that if there is a dispatch, it's possible to get the argument-list of a specific method, e.g. args(`[.data.frame`) works as expected (as it is not a primitive)

Best regards,
Emil Bode