[Rd] True length - length(unclass(x)) - without having to call unclass()?

Kevin Ushey kevinu@hey @ending from gm@il@com
Wed Sep 5 18:30:34 CEST 2018

More generally, I think one of the issues is that R is not yet able to
decrement a reference count (or mark a 'shared' data object as
'unshared' after it knows only one binding to it exists). This means
passing variables to R closures will mark that object as shared:

    x <- list()
    .Internal(inspect(x))  # NAM(1)
    identity(x)
    .Internal(inspect(x))  # NAM(3)

I think for this reason users often resort to 'hacks' that involve
directly setting attributes on the object, since they 'know' only one
reference to a particular object exists. I'm not sure if this really
is 'safe', though -- likely not given potential future optimizations
to R, as Tomas has alluded to.

I think true reference counting has been implemented in the R sources,
but the switch has not yet been flipped to enable that by default.
Hopefully having that will make cases like the above work as expected?

Thanks,
Kevin