[Rd] Bias in R's random integers?

Philip B. Stark @t@rk @ending from @t@t@berkeley@edu
Wed Sep 19 18:09:09 CEST 2018

The 53 bits only encode at most 2^{32} possible values, because the source
of the float is the output of a 32-bit PRNG (the obsolete version of MT).
53 bits isn't the relevant number here.

The selection ratios can get close to 2. Computer scientists don't do it
the way R does, for a reason.

Regards,
Philip

--
Philip B. Stark | Associate Dean, Mathematical and Physical Sciences |
Professor,  Department of Statistics |

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]