[Rd] [r-devel] integrate over an infinite region produces wrong results depending on scaling

William Dunlap wdun|@p @end|ng |rom t|bco@com
Sun Apr 14 18:52:59 CEST 2019

integrate(f, xmin, xmax) will have problems when f(x) is 0 over large parts
of (xmin,xmax).  It doesn't have any clues to where the non-zero regions
are.  It computes f(x) at 21 points at each step and if all of those are
zero (or some other constant?) for a few steps, it calls it a day.  If you
can narrow down the integration interval to the interesting part of the
function's domain you will get better results.

By the way, here is a way to see where integrate(f) evaluates f()  (the
keep.xy=TRUE argument doesn't seem to do anything).

> debugIntegrate <- function(f)
{
    n_calls <- 0
    x_args <- list()