[Rd] Suspect error in windows version of 3.60

Sat Apr 27 20:46:55 CEST 2019

On 27/04/2019 10:30 a.m., Len Weil wrote:
> Gentlemen,
>

> I've observed a suspected bug in R-3.60 for Windows 10.
>
> I am using the latest R version, but I have observed the same error in all
> releases: alpha, beta RC and released.
>
> Also the same issue occurs in the 32 and 64 bit GUI versions.  The program
> header I invoke is:
>

> R version 3.6.0 Patched (2019-04-26 r76431) -- "Planting of a Tree"
>
> Copyright (C) 2019 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
>
> Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
>

> Specifically, the menu selection Packages -> install packages fails.
>
> When invoked, it simply echoes: utils:::menuInstallPkgs() and returns the
> prompt.
>

> I found the underlying code with the getAnywhere function.
>
> It displays:
>
> getAnywhere(menuInstallPkgs)
>
> A single object matching 'menuInstallPkgs' was found
>
> It was found in the following places
>
>    namespace:utils
>
> with value
>

> function (type = getOption("pkgType"))
>
> {
>
>      install.packages(NULL, .libPaths()[1L], dependencies = NA,
>
>          type = type)
>
> }
>
> <bytecode: 0x0000000016c6a730>
>
> <environment: namespace:utils>
>

> The first argument, NULL, prevents the underlying function install.packages
> from working.

No, it is documented to trigger presentation of a list of packages to
install.  That list takes time to download from CRAN, so perhaps you are
just too impatient to wait for it, or perhaps it really is broken:  but
the NULL is not the issue.

Duncan Murdoch