[Rd] Rtools contains Python interpreter(s), and six copies?

Jeroen Ooms jeroenoom@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Aug 2 14:48:35 CEST 2019

On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 12:12 AM Abby Spurdle <spurdle.a using gmail.com> wrote:

> I've just discovered that Rtools (on Windows) contains Python
> interpreter(s).

A minimal build of python was included as a dependency of gdb in
Rtools 3.3 and up.

> I'm assuming that Python is required to build R packages, on all operating
> systems.

Please don't assume but read the documentation (preferably before posting).

> Also, by my count, Rtools contains six Python interpreters.
> I've miscounted, I hope...

We have a dual toolchain so there is a 32 and a 64 bit build of
python2.7.exe. The other names (python.exe and python2.exe) are
symlinks that python automatically creates. These are not in any
location that is ever on the path so nothing to worry about.