[Rd] Underscores in package names

Fri Aug 9 22:02:02 CEST 2019

On 09/08/2019 10:23 a.m., Jim Hester wrote:
> To be clear, I'd be happy to contribute code to make this work, with
> the changes mentioned by Duncan and elsewhere in the codebase, if
> someone on R-core was interested in reviewing it.

You seem to have ignited a lot of discussion.

Just to add my own point of view:  I think removing a restriction on the
allowed names is a generally bad idea.  I think Rasmus Bååth gave a
really valid complaint about the variety of naming conventions in R in a
presentation I saw based on his article

https://journal.r-project.org/archive/2012/RJ-2012-018/index.html

Looking at the article now, it's not as entertaining as I remember his
presentation was, but it makes good points about the value of consistency.

Duncan Murdoch