[Rd] Check length of logical vector also for operands of || and &&?

Mon Aug 19 16:43:25 CEST 2019

On 19/08/2019 10:19 a.m., Kirill Müller wrote:
> Hi everyone
>

> The following behavior (in R 3.6.1 and R-devel r77040) caught me by
> surprise today:
>
> truthy <- c(TRUE, FALSE)
> falsy <- c(FALSE, TRUE, FALSE)
>
> if (truthy) "check"
> #> Warning in if (truthy) "check": the condition has length > 1 and only the
> #> first element will be used
> #> [1] "check"
> if (falsy) "check"
> #> Warning in if (falsy) "check": the condition has length > 1 and only the
> #> first element will be used
> if (FALSE || truthy) "check"
> #> [1] "check"
> if (FALSE || falsy) "check"
> if (truthy || FALSE) "check"
> #> [1] "check"
> if (falsy || FALSE) "check"
>
> The || operator gobbles the warning about a length > 1 vector. I wonder
> if the existing checks for length 1 can be extended to the operands of
> the || and && operators. Thanks (and apologies if this has been raised
> before).

This seems to be an August topic.  It was discussed last year in a  long
thread starting with this message:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2018-August/076678.html

I think there was general agreement that it would be a good idea to add
some warnings.  News for R 3.6.0 includes this:

"Experimentally, setting environment variable _R_CHECK_LENGTH_1_LOGIC2_
will lead to warnings (or errors if the variable is set to a ‘true’
value) when && or || encounter and use arguments of length more than one."

You get a warning if you set that variable to "warn", you get an error
if you set it to "true".

Duncan Murdoch

Duncan Murdoch