[Rd] running R with users home dirs on a shared filesystems

Cook, Malcolm MEC @end|ng |rom @tower@@org
Fri Dec 13 23:35:27 CET 2019

Another thing to avoid are having multiple processes simultaneously access single sqlite3 database stored on NFS mount.

From sqlite manual: “Your best defense is to not use SQLite for files on a network filesystem<https://www.sqlite.org/lockingv3.html>”

So, if you configuring RStudio Server, make sure to follow advice about RStudio Package Manager<https://docs.rstudio.com/rspm/admin/database.html>: “This location must exist on local storage”

And any package that uses sqlite “under the hood” will similarly want the db on local storage to avoid such issues stemming from multi-process access.

Cheers,
Malcolm

From: R-devel <r-devel-bounces using r-project.org> On Behalf Of Simon Urbanek
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2019 12:52 PM
To: lejeczek <peljasz using yahoo.co.uk>
Cc: r-devel <r-devel using r-project.org>
Subject: Re: [Rd] running R with users home dirs on a shared filesystems

CAUTION: This email was received from an External Source

User home is not used by R directly, so it is really up to whatever package/code may be using user home. In our setup we have all machines using NFS mounted homes for years. From experience the only thing to watch for are packages that use their own cache directories in $HOME instead of tempdir() - it is technically against CRAN policies but we have seen it in the wild.

Cheers,
Simon