[Rd] Downsized R configuration for flat deployment

Simon Urbanek @|mon@urb@nek @end|ng |rom R-project@org
Mon Dec 23 05:57:11 CET 2019

DM,

can you clarify somewhat what you are exactly concerned about? The standard build of R on Linux is relocatable without any special flags needed since R doesn't use absolute paths but manages library path to its components itself so it's very flexible (e.g., I use this feature to run R jobs on Hadoop clusters that don't have R installed as the directory where the job components are unpacked is dynamic). You can always disable whatever features you don't need. In your question I don't understand what you mean by "flat" - on Linux all binaries are flat by default so please clarify what you mean. It's easy to create completely dynamic R deployment - and easy to install packages - both binary and from sources.

Cheers,
Simon