[Rd] code for sum function

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Feb 21 08:55:38 CET 2019

Dear Rampal,

you can download R source code in form of a tarball or from subversion,
please see
https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#Obtaining-R
https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#Using-Subversion-and-rsync

There is also a web access to subversion, so specifically the sum is
available in
https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/src/main/summary.c

The definition of LDOUBLE is here
https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/src/include/Defn.h

The index of R manuals is here
https://cran.r-project.org/manuals.html

The online documentation inside R gives for ?sum
"    Loss of accuracy can occur when summing values of different signs:
      this can even occur for sufficiently long integer inputs if the
      partial sums would cause integer overflow.  Where possible
      extended-precision accumulators are used, typically well supported
      with C99 and newer, but possibly platform-dependent.
"

Best,
Tomas

On 2/20/19 11:55 PM, Rampal Etienne wrote:
> Dear Tomas,
>
> Where do I find these files? Do they contain the code for the sum
> function?
>
> What do you mean exactly with your point on long doubles? Where can I
> find documentation on this?
>
> Cheers, Rampal
>
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2019, 15:38 Tomas Kalibera <tomas.kalibera using gmail.com
> <mailto:tomas.kalibera using gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     See do_summary() in summary.c, rsum() for doubles. R uses long double
>     type as accumulator on systems where available.
>
>     Best,
>     Tomas
>
>     On 2/14/19 2:08 PM, Rampal Etienne wrote:
>     > Hello,
>     >
>     > I am trying to write FORTRAN code to do the same as some R code I
>     > have. I get (small) differences when using the sum function in R. I
>     > know there are numerical routines to improve precision, but I
>     have not
>     > been able to figure out what algorithm R is using. Does anyone know
>     > this? Or where can I find the code for the sum function?
>     >
>     > Regards,
>     >
>     > Rampal Etienne
>     >
>     > R-devel using r-project.org <mailto:R-devel using r-project.org> mailing list
>     > https://stat.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-devel

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]