[Rd] Is libtiff >= 4.0.0 now required by R for TIFF support?

Jeroen Ooms jeroenoom@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Feb 25 13:29:22 CET 2019

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 11:11 AM Bjørn-Helge Mevik
<b.h.mevik using usit.uio.no> wrote:

> We recently discovered that since R 3.3.0, on our CentOS 6 based
> cluster, R gets built without TIFF support.  The last version where TIFF
> support was built, was 3.2.5.

It looks like the official R from EPEL6 also lacks tiff support:

  yum install epel-release
  yum install R-devel
  R -e 'capabilities()'

> capabilities()
       jpeg         png        tiff       tcltk         X11        aqua
       TRUE        TRUE       FALSE        TRUE       FALSE       FALSE
   http/ftp     sockets      libxml        fifo      cledit       iconv
       TRUE        TRUE        TRUE        TRUE       FALSE        TRUE
        NLS     profmem       cairo         ICU long.double     libcurl
       TRUE       FALSE        TRUE        TRUE        TRUE        TRUE

So your hypothesis that autoconf doesn't find libtiff < 4 is probably correct.