[Rd] Runnable R packages

Jan Gorecki j@goreck| @end|ng |rom w|t@edu@p|
Thu Jan 31 16:56:48 CET 2019

Quoting:

"In summary, I'm convinced R would benefit from something similar to Java's
`Main-Class` header or Python's `__main__()` function. A new R CMD command
would take a package, install its dependencies, and run its "main"
function."

This kind of increase the scope of your idea. New command in R CMD to
redirect to "main" is interesting idea. On the other hand it will
impose limitation on user comparing to the way how you could do it
now: Rscript -e 'mypkg::mymain("myparam")' (or littler, it should be
shipped with R IMO).
For production system one doesn't want to just "install its
dependencies". First dependencies has to be mirrored and their version
frozen. Then testing your package on that set of dependencies. Once
successfully done then same set of packages should be used for
production deployment. For those processes you might find tools4pkgs
branch in base R useful (packages.dcf, mirror.packages functions),
unfortunately not merged:
https://github.com/wch/r-source/compare/tools4pkgs

Jan Gorecki