[Rd] Potential bug with data.frame replacement

Benjamin Jean-Marie Tremblay b2tremb|@y @end|ng |rom uw@ter|oo@c@
Sun Jul 14 14:05:25 CEST 2019

Dear R-devel,

I have encountered a crash-inducing scenario and would like to enquire as to
whether this would be considered a bug. To reproduce the crash:

X <- sample(letters, 3000, TRUE)
D <- data.frame(X, 1:3000, X, X, X, X, X)
D$X1.3000 <- paste0("GSM", D)

The reason why I'm not sure if this would be considered a bug is because I
typed this by accident, when what I meant was:

D$X1.3000 <- paste0("GSM", D$X1.3000)

I can never image a scenario where I would intentionally perform the former.

This issue seems to have something to do with the size of the data.frame, as
smaller examples will work fine:

D <- data.frame(A = 1:10, B = letters[1:10])
D$A <- paste0("A", D)

Also just doing the paste0 part without trying to replace a data.frame column
not crash R for me.

I can submit this on Bugzilla should this be deemed sufficiently buggy.

I am running 3.6.0 on macOS (x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0).

Sincerely,

B.T.