[Rd] Setting LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 failed

Thu Jun 6 13:28:53 CEST 2019

On 06/06/2019 6:22 a.m., Tomas Kalibera wrote:
> On 6/5/19 3:49 AM, Steven Penny wrote:
>> Using this in my "~/.profile":
>>
>>     export LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8
>>
>> Yields this:
>>
>>     $ Rscript -e 'print(9)'
>>     During startup - Warning message:
>>     Setting LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 failed
>>     [1] 9
>>
>> This is confusing as the exact same environment works fine with other
>> languages:
>>
>>     $ python3 -c 'print(9)'
>>     9
>>
>>     $ ruby -e 'puts 9'
>>     9
>
> The locale is probably not available on your system, please
> install/generate it.

I think Steven is running the Windows build, not a POSIX build, so
that's not a legal value.  He could try the Cygwin build, but I think it
has other problems, and isn't supported by R Core.  As far as I know
there is no Windows locale that fully supports UTF-8.

Duncan Murdoch