[Rd] R-Forge > GitHub?

Henrik Bengtsson henr|k@bengt@@on @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Jun 26 17:46:11 CEST 2019

One thing that needs manual work is making each SVN username mP to a Git
(username, email address). This often involved asking contributors what
their preferred endless Git address is.

The email address is what for instance GitHub uses to associate a commit
authorship with a user account. You can register multiple emails addresses
per GitHub account. As far as I remember, this also how GitLab and
Bitbucket work. AFAIK, the Git username is not really used, but I might be
wrong.

You can rewrite the authorship in the Git history to get this correct, but
you want to get that right before going public v if you rewrite the history
and "force" push you'll make life hard for anyone who already cloned.

/Henrik

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]