[Rd] pcre problems

robin hankin h@nk|n@rob|n @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Mar 1 07:10:36 CET 2019

thanks for this guys.

I only compiled pcre myself as a last resort,  because of the
./configure failure.  But AFAICS  apt-get reports correct
installation:

OK~/Downloads/R-devel sudo apt-get install r-base-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
r-base-dev is already the newest version (3.5.2-1cosmic).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
OK~/Downloads/R-devel

config.log gives me:

configure:42208: $? = 0
configure:42208: result: yes
configure:42208: checking for pcre.h
configure:42208: result: yes
configure:42208: checking pcre/pcre.h usability
configure:42208: gcc -c  -g -O2 -I/usr/local/include  conftest.c >&5
conftest.c:289:10: fatal error: pcre/pcre.h: No such file or directory
 #include <pcre/pcre.h>
          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
configure:42208: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h */
| #define PACKAGE_NAME "R"
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "R"
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION "3

and

HAVE_UNISTD_H
| # include <unistd.h>
| #endif
| #include <pcre/pcre.h>
configure:42208: result: no
configure:42208: checking pcre/pcre.h presence
configure:42208: gcc -E -I/usr/local/include  conftest.c
conftest.c:256:10: fatal error: pcre/pcre.h: No such file or directory
 #include <pcre/pcre.h>
          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
configure:42208: $? = 1