[Rd] Possibly broken system2 env-option

peter dalgaard pd@|gd @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Mar 19 10:51:36 CET 2019

You are using it wrong. It wants strings of the form "name=value", not a character vector with names as labels. So this is closer to the mark:

> system2("echo", env = c("VAR='Hello World'"), args = c("$VAR"))

However, as you see it doesn't work as intended. The problem is that the $-substitution refers to the environment of the shell executing the command. I.e. this does not work from a terminal command line either:

pd$ VAR="foo" echo $VAR

pd$

Or even

pd$ VAR="bar"
pd$ VAR="foo" echo $VAR
bar

What you need is something like (NB: single quotes!)

pd$ VAR="foo" sh -c 'echo $VAR'
foo

So:

> system2("sh", env = c("VAR='Hello World'"), args = c("-c 'echo $VAR'"))
Hello World

-pd