[Rd] default for 'signif.stars'

Andrew Robinson men@ur@t|on|@t @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Mar 28 21:03:43 CET 2019

Hi Martin,

I take your point - but I'd argue that significance stars are a clumsy
solution to the very real problem that you outline, and their inclusion as
a default sends a signal about their appropriateness that I would prefer R
not to endorse.

My preference (to the extent that it matters) would be to see the
significance stars be an option but not a default one, and the addition of
different functionality to handle the many-predictor problem, perhaps a new
summary that more efficiently provides more useful information.

If we were to invent lm() now, how would we solve the problem of big P?  I
don't think we would use stars.

Cheers,

Andrew