[Rd] Use of C++ in Packages

Simon Urbanek @|mon@urb@nek @end|ng |rom R-project@org
Fri Mar 29 18:15:53 CET 2019

Jim,

I think the main point of Tomas' post was to alert R users to the fact that there are very serious issues that you have to understand when interfacing R from C++. Using C++ code from R is fine, in many cases you only want to access R data, use some library or compute in C++ and return results. Such use-cases are completely fine in C++ as they don't need to trigger the issues mentioned and it should be made clear that it was not what Tomas' blog was about.

I agree with Tomas that it is safer to give an advice to not use C++ to call R API since C++ may give a false impression that you don't need to know what you're doing. Note that it is possible to avoid longjmps by using R_ExecWithCleanup() which can catch any longjmps from the called function. So if you know what you're doing you can make things work. I think the issue here is not necessarily lack of tools, it is lack of knowledge - which is why I think Tomas' post is so important.

Cheers,
Simon