[Rd] ALTREP: Design concept of alternative string

介非王 @zwj|08 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri May 10 18:05:30 CEST 2019

Hi Gabriel,

Thanks for your explanation, I totally understand that it is almost
impossible to change the data structure of STRSXP. However, what I'm
proposing is not about changing the internal representation, but rather
about how we design and use the ALTREP API.

 I might do not state the workarounds clearly as English is not my first
language. Please let me explain them again in detail.

1. Update the existing R functions. When the ALTREP API Dataptr_or_null
returns NULL, use get_element instead(or as best as we can). I have seen
this pattern for some R functions, but somehow there are still some
functions left that do not follow this rule. For example, print function
will blindly call Dataptr (It even did not call Dataptr_or_null first) and
forces me to allocate a large chunk of memory in R. Updating these
functions would not completely solve the problem we are discussing but will
make it less serious.

2. Update the ALTREP API, return a vector of const char *, and internally
wrap them as CHARSXP. This can be a way to "hack" the R data structure with
only a little cost to create the CHARSXP header.

3. Provide character ALTREP. Instead of using string ALTREP, we can define
an alternative CHARSXP. By doing it we will completely solve the problem
since the return value of the Dataptr of CHARSXP is a const char*. We do
not have to change any internal representation of characters, it just
requires a remap of the DATAPTR macro( or function?).

Again, I sincerely appreciate your time and the detailed you provided. I'm
looking forward to seeing any method to solve this problem in the current
and future R release.

Best,
Jiefei

Gabriel Becker <gabembecker using gmail.com> 于2019年5月9日周四 下午2:07写道: