[Rd] nrow(rbind(character(), character())) returns 2 (as documented but very unintuitive, IMHO)

robin hankin h@nk|n@rob|n @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu May 16 23:25:14 CEST 2019

Gabriel, you ask an insightful and instructive question. One of R's
great strengths is that we have a forum where this kind of edge-case
can be fruitfully discussed.
My interest in this would be the names of the arguments; in the magic
package I make heavy use of the dimnames of zero-extent arrays.

> rbind(a='x',b='y')
  [,1]
a "x"
b "y"

> rbind(a='x',b=character())
  [,1]
a "x"

> rbind(a=character(),b=character())

The first and third idiom are fine.  The result of the second one, in
which we rbind() a length-one to  a length-zero vector, is desirable
IMO on the grounds that the content of a two-row matrix cannot be
defined sensibly, so R takes the perfectly reasonable stance of
deciding to ignore the second argument...which carries with it the
implication that the name ('b')  be ignored too.  If the second
argument *could* be recycled, I would want the name, otherwise I
wouldn't.  And this is what R does.

best wishes,

hankin.robin using gmail.com