[Rd] ALTREP: Bug reports

介非王 @zwj|08 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri May 17 19:06:47 CEST 2019

Thank you very much for your answer. If I understand it correctly, for an
ALTREP class, a non-deep copy only creates a new ALTREP object but refers
to the same underlying SEXP as the old ALTREP object has, is it correct?
But since they all share the same underlying SEXP, will change of the value
in the old ALTREP object cause the change of the value in the new ALTREP
object? Or do you mean we need to decide which SEXP has to be copied even
*deep==FALSE*? I made a small test code:

x=runif(10)
> so1=sharedObject(x)
> so2=so1
> so2[1]=10

The last line of the code will call the duplicate function with
*deep==FALSE,* which does not sound correct to me if we don't do a deep
copy of the SEXP.

Best,
Jiefei

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 3:07 PM Gabriel Becker <gabembecker using gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Thank you very much for your quick responses. The explanation of STDVEC
>> is very helpful and I appreciate it! For the wrapper, I have a few new
>> questions.
>>

>> 1. Like Luke said a mutable object is not possible. However, I noticed
>> that there is one extra argument *deep* in the function duplicate. I've
>> googled all the available documentation for ALTREP but I did not find any
>> explanation of it. Could you please give some detail on it?
>>

> Deep means in the case of compound/nested structure, e.g., most easily
> illustrative the case of a list in R (or VECSXP in C) , do the elements
> need to be duplicated (deep == TRUE) or *only* the "container" SEXP.
>
> Consider an R list:
>
> x = 1:5
>
> y = 2:20
>
> z= c(TRUE, FALSE)
>
> w = "hi there"
>
> lst = list(a= x, b = y, c =z)
>
> lst2 =lst # NAMED == 2, more than one symbol pointing to
>
> And we want to modify lst like so
>
> lst[[2]] = w
>
> We need to duplicate the "container SEXP", ie the VECSXP, so that lst's
> SEXP and lst2's SEXP point to diferent SEXPs in their second element, but
> we don't need to duplicate any SEXPs that represent the data in any of the
> elements (the SEXPs bound to symbols x, y, z, and w), because none of those
> were modified.
>
> Thus, if deep == FALSE, those element SEXPs are NOT duplicated, just the
> top-level one is. if deep==TRUE, then the element SEXPs are duplicated too,
> because  R decided it neeeded that to happen for some reason.
>
> In terms of implementing an ALTREP class, you can either a) just ignore
> deep and *always* do a deep (ie full) duplication of everything in your
> ALTREP class, or  b) you can pay attention to it and  always create a new
> altrep  but which can potentially - *ONLY in cases where deep==FALSE* -
> not duplicate the SEXPs that make up its alternative representation,
> provided you're careful about then making sure that duplication happens at
> a later time if necessary.
>
> I'd strongly suggest starting with option (a) just to have something
> working and completely safe, then considering if its important enough to
> you to look into (b).
>
> Does that make sense?
>
> Best,
> ~G
>

>> 2.
>>
>>> The first one correctly returns its internal data structure, but the
>>> second
>>> one returns the ALTREP object it wraps since the wrapper itself is an
>>> ALTREP. This behavior is unexpected.
>>

>> I disagree. R_altrep_data1 returns whatever THAT altrep SEXP stores in
>>> its "data1" part. There is no recursion/descent going on, and there
>>> shouldn't be.
>>

>> This is might be a bug since in R release 3.6 it will return the ALTREP
>> instead of the data of the ALTREP. I'm not sure if it has been fixed in

>>> Rprintf("getting data 1\n");