[Rd] anyNA() performance on vectors of POSIXct

Harvey Smith h@rvey13131 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue May 21 20:30:23 CEST 2019

 I think there was a similar discussion to this when I raised the issue of
interpreting the sort order for an object versus its underlying type.  In
this anyNA example it is the is.na for the object versus the is.na for the
type, whereas in the discussion below, which Gabriel Becker raised, it was
the sort ordering.  They seem to be related when vectors of POSIXct are
handled as objects instead of the underlying numeric type.

So looking at this, it is because is.object(x.posixct) returns true, which
means sort.default does x[order(x, <bla bla bla>)], which ALTREP is not
currently (and may not ever be?) smart enough to catch on its own and know
is sorted.

Its true we could add something after that to wrap it in what is called a
wrapper altrep which would know it's sorted, but we don't do that currently
now and I'm not sure we actually should in the general case. I'm not
convinced its safe to assume an object class' defined ordering will match
the ordering of an underlying double/int representation. I believe we ran
into something similar with deferred sting conversions from integers (I
think, possibly doubles) where the int had sortedness information but that
wasn't correct for the *character vector *the ALTREP ultimately
represented.

http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/unsorted-suggestion-for-performance-improvement-and-ALTREP-support-for-POSIXct-td4754634.html

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]