[Rd] [External] R C api for 'inherits' S3 and S4 objects

Tierney, Luke |uke-t|erney @end|ng |rom u|ow@@edu
Fri Nov 1 15:45:24 CET 2019

On Fri, 1 Nov 2019, Jan Gorecki wrote:

> Thank you Luke.
> That is why I don't use Rf_inherits but INHERITS which does not
> allocate, provided in the email body.

Your definition can allocate because STING_ELT can allocate.
getAttrib can GC in general. Currently it would not GC or allocate in
this case, but this could change.

You can't assume thread-safety for calls into the R API, or any API
for that matter, unless they are documented to be thread-safe.

You would be better off using Rf_inherits as it does not make the
assumption that you can use pointer comparisons to check for identical
strings.  CHARSXPs are almost always cached but they are not
guaranteed to be, and the caching strategy might change in the future.

Best,

luke

--
Luke Tierney