[Rd] calls with comment attribute

peter dalgaard pd@|gd @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Nov 13 11:24:56 CET 2019

I think this is spot on. I remember all sorts of silliness when deparsing expressions while trying to retain comments - comments moving from beginning to end of loops or vice versa, that sort of thing. It was pretty much impossible to stick comments into the parse tree and have them come back out in a sensible position. After the keep.source changes, we didn't use comment() attributes anymore but print/deparse still acts on them. A peek at gram.y from an early R version should reveal the mechanism used then.

GB: presumably the comment character was considered part of the comment and stored with it, which is why it isn't added for printing.

-pd