[Rd] Can't build R 3.6.1 or 3.5.3 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Saren Tasciyan @@ren@t@@c|y@n @end|ng |rom |@t@@c@@t
Mon Nov 25 17:58:44 CET 2019

On 11/25/19 5:54 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> On 24 November 2019 at 22:24, Saren Tasciyan wrote:
> | Yes I am aware of it.
>
> So why not use them?
I did at the end. But one might be maybe paranoid, maybe develop R,
maybe this is what open source means

> | And yes, I have libicu60 installed. Is it the configure script making a
> | mistake?
>
> Err, no. The configure setup is as solid as they come.  But as Peter already
> said: "have lib$FOO installed" often means having the _run-time_ library.
> Yet to _build_, you also need the -dev package.
>
> You could subscribe to the r-sig-debian list and we can walk you through all
> of this there.  It is a pretty friendly low-volume low-noise list. This list
> is not the best place for your questions.
Sure thanks a lot. I will join there. Actually, problem was with ggpubr,
which required a more recent version of R. Then I thought compiling was
the only option and got into this mess. Finally, I found binaries from
CRAN. But I wanted to report the issue to help with development.