[Rd] should base R have a piping operator ?

Ant F @nto|ne@|@br| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Oct 5 19:14:32 CEST 2019

Hi Rui,

> R is a functional language, pipes are not. There are even higher order
functions such as [1] and [2].

If they can be build in R, either R is not a functional language, or pipes
are part of a functional language. Could you elaborate ?
What point would you make against pipes that you couldn't make about other
operators or functions leveraging lazy evaluation ?
I don't understand either the references to Negate() and Recall().

I actually think that there are few things more "functional" than using
pipes :).

> Besides, packages are part of R, R couldn't live without them. I find
> pipes a good idea but I also find it better not to have them as part of
> base R. If you want to use them, load a package, if you don't, don't.
> This simple.

Simple enough, but more complicated than necessary.
I believe it's a fair argument to point than pipes are different. They
don't DO anything and yet are used by thousands of packages.
They are largely viewed as part of R and some users are surprised no to
find them in base R, in the remaining users many don't
even know that they come from magrittr but think they come from dplyr.

The fact that it feels odd to attach a package only to use the pipe is
highlighted by the fact that thousands of packages reexport it
, see https://github.com/search?q=filename%3Autils-pipe.R+magrittr . I
don't think it can be said of any other function.

Package developers could still use `usethis::use_pipe()` if they want to
associate their package
with magrittr's pipe, but they wouldn't "need" it to suggest to user than
piping is recommend way of using their functions in sequence,
and this would mean less red ink saying that this `%>%` pipe was masked by
that other `%>%` pipe.

I like the design of magrittr's pipe a lot and I'd continue to use it
either way, but I would write documentation and even functions with `%.%`
if it was available,
without worrying about dependencies, and less worried about suboptimal
performance.

Best regards,

Antoine