[Rd] New matrix function

Spencer Graves @pencer@gr@ve@ @end|ng |rom prod@y@e@com
Fri Oct 11 12:04:01 CEST 2019

On 2019-10-11 04:45, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 11/10/2019 6:44 a.m., Morgan Morgan wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I was looking for a function to find a small matrix inside a larger
>> matrix
>> in R similar to the one described in the following link:
>>
>> https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/194708-index-a-small-matrix-in-a-larger-matrix
>>

>> I couldn't find anything.
>>
>> The above function can be seen as a "generalisation" of the "which"
>> function as well as the function described in the following post:
>>
>> https://coolbutuseless.github.io/2018/04/03/finding-a-length-n-needle-in-a-haystack/
>>

>> Would be possible to add such a function to base R?
>>
>> I am happy to work with someone from the R core team (if you wish) and
>> suggest an implementation in C.
>
> That seems like it would sometimes be a useful function, and maybe
> someone will point out a package that already contains it.  But if
> not, why would it belong in base R?

       The natural thing could be to add it to another existing package.

       A list of different search tools appear in the Wikiversity
article on "Searching R packages".[1]  I especially like the "sos"
package, which includes a vignette, [2] but I also use RDocumentation
and occasionally Rseek.  Google Advanced Search[3] is also very good;
I've used that for other things, but not searching for R packages.

       I've had modest luck suggesting additions to other packages if I
write the function and documentation with good examples that tend to
ensure quality.  Some maintainers reject my suggestions;  other have
accepted them.

       Spencer Graves

[1]
https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Searching_R_Packages

[2] Caveat:  I wrote both that Wikiversity article and the "sos"
package, so I'm biased.

[3]
https://www.google.com/advanced_search