[Rd] interception of expression evaluation. What is the right way to proceed?

João Coelho Garcia jog @end|ng |rom tecn|co@pt
Mon Oct 28 14:13:54 CET 2019

Hi all!

I am a computer science lecturer at IST (www.tecnico.ulisboa.pt) andhave
been developing a voluntary computing environment for R together with
some students. The idea is to allow R users to share their CPU time in
the community. Both for security of the volunteers (to create a sandbox)
and for debugging support, we have extended the R interpreter with a
small intervention in the eval function.

My question is the following:

- Is there any way to transparently intercept all expressions in the R
runtime? and in a way we should not have touched the internals of the
interpreter..

- If changing the interpreter is the way to go, what is the correct way
to propose this change to the R community?

     Thank you for all help,

     Best regards,

         João Garcia