[Rd] set.seed() in a package

Wed Oct 30 13:46:47 CET 2019

On 30/10/2019 3:28 a.m., Marvin Wright wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently found several calls of set.seed() in a CRAN package. These calls are in a plot function, which could lead to unexpected behaviour. See https://github.com/sammo3182/interplot/issues/33 <https://github.com/sammo3182/interplot/issues/33> for a description of the problem.
>
> I checked the CRAN repository policies and could not find anything about this. I would have expected a policy against setting fixed seeds somewhere in a package. Am I missing something?

set.seed() writes .Random.seed in the user's global environment, which
violates this policy:

- Packages should not modify the global environment (user’s workspace).

However, every call to a random number generator creates or modifies
.Random.seed as well, and most of those are expected and shouldn't be
flagged.  And interplot() is documented to do random simulations, so it
would be expected to change the seed:  the issue is that given the same
inputs it always changes it to the same thing.  I think that would be
quite hard for a test to detect.

Should it be a policy with no test?  Maybe, because I agree with you
that interplot()'s set.seed(324) is bad practice.

Duncan Murdoch