[Rd] Printing chinese characters (UTF-8) on R 3.5.2 -windows 10

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Sep 13 11:24:22 CEST 2019

On 9/13/19 11:01 AM, IAGO GINÉ VÁZQUEZ wrote:
> I have a chinese character on a data frame, but the output of printing it is its UTF-8 code. Concretely, the character is 會 and the code is U+6703. Following the code I arrive to the instruction
>
>> base::format.default("會")
> which prints
>
> [1] "<U+6703>"
>
> I do not know which is the extent of this behaviour either if it follows on most recent versions of R.
>
> Is it expected?

If you are running this on Windows in an encoding where the character
cannot be represented (e.g. non-Chinese locale), then yes, this is
expected behavior.

On Unix systems where R can run in UTF-8 encoding (Linux, macOS), the
character will be formatted/displayed properly.

Best
Tomas