[Rd] Should slot<-() alter its first argument?

Michael Lawrence |@wrence@m|ch@e| @end|ng |rom gene@com
Sat Sep 21 16:46:00 CEST 2019

The core of Bioconductor and the methods package itself once took
advantage of this "feature" to avoid unnecessary duplication. Since
the introduction of shallow copying, those abuses have been removed.

Note that these assignment functions always have issues due to
optimizations that assume <-() is called. For example,

@565446e0bdf8 25 S4SXP g0c0 [OBJ,NAM(1),S4,gp=0x10,ATT]

> `@<-`(z2, "x", value="newest")
An object of class "Z"
Slot "x":
[1] "newest"
> z2 # modified in place due to NAMED==1, because we assume assignment back to itself
An object of class "Z"
Slot "x":
[1] "newest"

Since we assume <-() bumps NAMED, z2 has its NAMED cleared even though
it's obviously named:
@56544726ae60 25 S4SXP g0c0 [OBJ,NAM(1),S4,gp=0x10,ATT]
> .Internal(inspect(`@<-`(z2, "x", value="newest"))) # NAMED == 0, same address as above
@56544726ae60 25 S4SXP g0c0 [OBJ,S4,gp=0x10,ATT]

So I guess we could make slot<-() a bit safer but unless we give up
the optimizations or maybe inform the "gets" functions that they are
being called outside of complex assignment, there will be exploits.

Michael