[Rd] typeof(getOption("warn")) is "integer" instead of "double" in R unstable (2019-09-27 r77229)? Reproducible?

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Sep 30 10:07:43 CEST 2019

On 9/29/19 6:12 PM, nospam using altfeld-im.de wrote:
> Thanks a lot for pointing out the reason
> (and yes, I am testing quite to stringent in this case - it's my old testing disease ;-)

Please note that it is not a good practice to test for these things in
unit tests. Every system has some specified (or "documented" - in R)
behavior, and then some unspecified. Programs must not depend on the
unspecified behavior. If your programs do, then they should be fixed not
to do so. If they do not, then there is no point in testing whether the
unspecified behavior changed or seems to have changed. Also the
existence of these tests often wastes time of the people who find out
when these tests start failing (can be your time, but also CRAN, RCore
or anyone else's). It is of course a good thing to check inputs in
functions, e.g. in the actual code that uses an "option", to the point
that is needed for correct execution of the code, but that neither that
check nor the code should expect more than what is specified.

Best
Tomas