[Rd] stringsAsFactors and type.convert()

Arni Magnusson Arn|@m@gnu@@on @end|ng |rom |ce@@dk
Tue Apr 14 00:20:19 CEST 2020

If read.table() is defaulting to "character" instead of "factor" data type, shouldn't type.convert() also default to "character" in R 4.0.0?

This would seem like a good time to change the default to type.convert(as.is=TRUE), to align it with the new default in read.table and data.frame. I think many R >=4.0.0 users would be happy with as.is=TRUE as the default in type.convert.

I'm happy to work on the patch and run tests if that is helpful.

Cheers,
Arni