[Rd] suggestion: "." in [lsv]apply()

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothend|eck @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Apr 20 16:49:58 CEST 2020

I wouldn't drive my choices using unlikely edge cases
but rather focus on the vast majority of practical cases.

The popularity of tidyverse shows that this philosophy
works well from a user's perspective.

For the vast majority of practical cases it works well, and for the
others you can either use function as usual or do it like this:

lapply(quote(a + b), fn$identity(~ as.character(x)))

or (we used dot here but you can use any name you like)

. <- fn$identity
lapply(quote(a + b), .(~ as.character(x)))

For the vast majority of practical cases it has the advantages that the function
can be represented more naturally using whatever argument names are most
convenient rather than being forced to use reserved names and it supports
multiple arguments and dot dot dot.

Also it does more than just represent functions. It also interpolates strings
so it can be used for multiple purposes.

library(sqldf)
mytime <- 4
fn$sqldf("select * from BOD where Time < $mytime")