[Rd] New pipe operator

Deepayan Sarkar deep@y@n@@@rk@r @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Dec 4 18:06:16 CET 2020

On Fri, Dec 4, 2020 at 7:35 PM Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan using gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04/12/2020 8:13 a.m., Hiroaki Yutani wrote:
> >>   Error: function '::' not supported in RHS call of a pipe
> >
> > To me, this error looks much more friendly than magrittr's error.
> > Some of them got too used to specify functions without (). This
> > is OK until they use `::`, but when they need to use it, it takes
> > hours to figure out why
> >
> > mtcars %>% base::head
> > #> Error in .::base : unused argument (head)
> >
> > won't work but
> >
> > mtcars %>% head
> >
> > works. I think this is a too harsh lesson for ordinary R users to
> > learn `::` is a function. I've been wanting for magrittr to drop the
> > support for a function name without () to avoid this confusion,
> > so I would very much welcome the new pipe operator's behavior.
> > Thank you all the developers who implemented this!
>
> I agree, it's an improvement on the corresponding magrittr error.
>
> I think the semantics of not evaluating the RHS, but treating the pipe
> as purely syntactical is a good decision.
>
> I'm not sure I like the recommended way to pipe into a particular argument:
>
>    mtcars |> subset(cyl == 4) |> \(d) lm(mpg ~ disp, data = d)
>
> or
>
>    mtcars |> subset(cyl == 4) |> function(d) lm(mpg ~ disp, data = d)
>
> both of which are equivalent to
>
>    mtcars |> subset(cyl == 4) |> (function(d) lm(mpg ~ disp, data = d))()
>
> It's tempting to suggest it should allow something like
>
>    mtcars |> subset(cyl == 4) |> lm(mpg ~ disp, data = .)

Which is really not that far off from

mtcars |> subset(cyl == 4) |> \(.) lm(mpg ~ disp, data = .)

once you get used to it.

One consequence of the implementation is that it's not clear how
multiple occurrences of the placeholder would be interpreted. With
magrittr,

sort(runif(10)) %>% ecdf(.)(.)
## [1] 0.1 0.2 0.3 0.4 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.8 0.9 1.0

This is probably what you would expect, if you expect it to work at all, and not

ecdf(sort(runif(10)))(sort(runif(10)))

There would be no such ambiguity with anonymous functions

sort(runif(10)) |> \(.) ecdf(.)(.)

-Deepayan