[Rd] New pipe operator

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothend|eck @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Dec 7 00:21:24 CET 2020

I understand very well that it is implemented at the syntax level;
however, in any case the implementation is irrelevant to the principles.

Here a similar example to the one I gave before but this time written out:

This works:

  3 |> function(x) x + 1

but this does not:

  foo <- function(x) x + 1
  3 |> foo

so it breaks the principle of functions being first class objects.  foo and its
definition are not interchangeable.  You have
to write 3 |> foo() but don't have to write 3 |> (function(x) x + 1)().

This isn't just a matter of notation, i.e. foo vs foo(), but is a
matter of breaking
the way R works as a functional language with first class functions.