[Rd] [External] Re: New pipe operator

iuke-tier@ey m@iii@g oii uiow@@edu iuke-tier@ey m@iii@g oii uiow@@edu
Mon Dec 7 19:01:06 CET 2020

On Mon, 7 Dec 2020, Peter Dalgaard wrote:

>> On 7 Dec 2020, at 17:35 , Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan using gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 07/12/2020 11:18 a.m., peter dalgaard wrote:
>>> Hmm,
>>> I feel a bit bad coming late to this, but I think I am beginning to side with those who want  "... |> head" to work. And yes, that has to happen at the expense of |> head().
>>
>> Just curious, how would you express head(df, 10)?  Currently it is
>>
>> df |> head(10)
>>
>> Would I have to write it as
>>
>> df |> function(d) head(d, 10)
>
> It could be
>
> df |> ~ head(_, 10)
>
> which in a sense is "yes" to your question.
>

>>> As I think it was Gabor points out, the current structure goes down a nonstandard evaluation route, which may be difficult to explain and departs from usual operator evaluation paradigms by being an odd mix of syntax and semantics. R lets you do these sorts of thing, witness ggplot and tidyverse, but the transparency of the language tends to suffer.
>>
>> I wouldn't call it non-standard evaluation.  There is no function corresponding to |>, so there's no evaluation at all.  It is more like the way "x -> y" is parsed as "y <- x", or "if (x) y" is transformed to `if`(x, y).
>
> That's a point, but maybe also my point. Currently, the parser is inserting the LHS as the 1st argument of the RHS, right? Things might be simpler if it was more like a simple binop.

It can only be a simple binop if you only allow RHS functions of one argument.
Which would require currying along the lines Duncan showed. Something like:

`%>>%` <- function(x, f) f(x)
C1 <- function(f, ...) function(x) f(x, ...)

mtcars %>>% head
mtcars %>>% C1(head, 2)
mtcars %>>% C1(subset, cyl == 4) %>>% \(d) lm(mpg ~ disp, data = d)

This might fly if we lived in a world where most RHS functions take
one argument and only a few needed currying. That is the case in many
functional languages, but not for R. Making the common case of
multiple arguments easy means you have to work at the source level,
either in the parser or with some form of NSE.

Best,

luke